Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hi, I have theories, too.

Hi, my name is Cassandra, and I have theories, too.

Obviously everyone knows about the whole "2012" thing. End of the world, blah blah blah.

I've heard that it's actually not the "end of the world" but a mass spiritual awakening.

Which is interesting, because I've been reading my bible more lately, and I'd like to share an interesting passage with you. I promise I'm not trying to convert you, hahah.

This is in Matthew 24, the chapter known as "Signs of the End of the Age."

His disciples ask Jesus, "When will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming of the end of the age?" (Matthew 24:3)

Jesus goes on to say that nations will turn against each other, there will be wars, there will be false prophets who will deceive many, etc.

Then Jesus goes on to say, "Let no one on the roof of his house go down to take anything out of the house. Let no one in the field go back to get his cloak. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath. For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now - and never to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened." (Matthew 24:18-25)

At the end of the chapter, Jesus says, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away." (Matthew 24:35)

I think all of this is very interesting, for a few reasons! According to Jesus, We should pray that our "flight" will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath. The exact date of the supposed "doomsday" is December 21st 2012, which is a Friday. I know that most people believe that the Sabbath day is Sunday, however, according to halakha, which is the collective body of religious laws for Jews, "Shabbat" is the seventh day of the week, and is observed from a few minutes before sunset on Friday evening until the appearance of three stars in the sky on Saturday night. We all know that Jesus was a Jew, so obviously he followed this law that says the Sabbath starts and ends then. So if this "doomsday" does happen, and does happen on December 21st of this year between 4:30pm (the time the sun will set that day) and whenever three stars appear on Saturday night, then it looks like another prophecy in the bible fulfilled. Jesus doesn't say, "I'm going to come back and everything is going to be dandy." He says, "There will be great distress." Not just distress, but the most distress that this world has ever seen and ever will see. "If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened." December 21st this year is the winter solstice (as it is every year) and is the shortest day of the year.

I don't mean to scare anyone, but I'm just going to put this out there because I as well used to be a non-believer believer (if you know what I mean). When I first started going to church, all I heard was that Jesus died on the cross for my sins, and if I ask for forgiveness, I'll get it. I didn't really read my bible at all, so I just went off of what I was told in church, and I was cool with that. I thought, cool, I can just do whatever I want, as long as I ask for forgiveness, it's all good.

That's not what Jesus says in the bible. Jesus says that we need to not only repent, but to actually turn away from those wicked ways, not just say we're sorry and then go do them again without second thought. Now obviously everyone has their slips, their struggles, their trials and tribulations, but it is one thing to do what I used to do, which was party, get drunk and high, sleep around, steal, lie, cheat, but go to church every Sunday, youth group every Wednesday, have spiritual experiences in church, be arrogant outside of the church because I thought that I was "better" than everyone else because I had Jesus. It is an entirely different thing to earnestly turn away from whatever is keeping you away from following Jesus' word, whether it be drugs, alcohol, adultery, any kind of addiction, or just being an asshole, turn completely away, but maybe have a slip and immediately ask for forgiveness and turn away. I'm not saying that one is going to hell and the other isn't, I'm just saying that since I believe and follow Jesus, I'm going to believe and follow Jesus... I'm going to repent and turn away from my wicked ways, to the best of my ability.

Anyways, I really just went off on a super obsessive thing to put all that together, and I didn't even put as much stuff in here as I wanted to because I can't quote where all the verses are and I don't like saying that someone said something if I can't quote them... and it's almost 4am and I'm really tired... but I read Matthew 24 the other day and it just really got me thinking about "2012", so I had to do some research and then do a little blog about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment